As a mom of three kids under four I know first hand the difficulties that having three kids can bring. Not just in the home but outside the home like grocery stores, restaurants and vehicles. The world's not built for 3 kids.
Here are eight reasons why:
1. Anatomy: You literally don’t have enough hands. You’ll be wearing one child, holding another's hand while pushing a grocery cart (that no one will sit in) while yelling out to the other child to stay where you can see them and to stop touching everything.
2. Shopping carts: You've seen them, the semi-truck of grocery carts. The bench seat attached to a cart. You'll be the idiot crashing into the center displays or taking out a rack of clothes because you can't turn the dang thing. This is assuming you are lucky enough to find one of these mysterious carts. They're out there but you need to get to the store when it opens to find one. You can try to avoid the cart dilemma by shopping at awesome stores like Costco and Aldi that have double cart seats but most days you'll be cramming all your kids into a stupid standard cart.
3. Cars: I hated minivans. There was nothing less cool than a van. I vowed I'd never drive one. Guess what kind of vehicle we have? You guessed it, a van. Unless you like self-torture just suck it up and get a van. Cars/SUV's are just not practical if you have more than two children. They are hard to get into and if you actually want to fit your children and all their stuff required for even an overnight visit somewhere just do yourself a favor and get a van.
4. Two-packs: Any kid item that comes in a two pack you’ll always need to buy more than one pack. This is so all your kids get an item. Cross your fingers for a BOGO deal. Even if you see a BOGO deal and don't need that item at the time, fill up your huge semi-truck cart with it anyway.
5. Restaurant seating: It’s either 4 or 6 seats. If you are brave enough to take your gaggle out to eat you'll be crammed at a small table or inevitably you'll have to wait for a 6 top to open up. This is when you should just skip a sit down restaurant and go through a drive thru in your awesome van.
6. Family vacation packages: We've all seen the ads for the "fun family 4 pack". This will never apply to you if you have three kids. The fifth person in your family will always make traveling more expensive.
7. Theme park rides: Speaking of vacations...looking at this one you're probably like, who cares! Trust me, this matters. Especially when your kids have to wait patiently for their turn to ride with mom or dad. Patiently, haha, thats funny. If your kids are big enough to ride the rides by themselves then the third kid gets stuck with a stranger, is alone or has to ride with you. Pass me the barf bag.
8. Strollers: Just like shopping carts your kids will never comfortably fit in a stroller together. You either trust the oldest to not dart out in front of moving cars or you end up looking like a freak and pushing a double stroller while wearing your youngest. They make triple strollers, but unless you have triplets you'll likely just make whatever you got at your first baby shower work.
So there you have it, eight solid reasons why the world isn't built for three kids.
Even though the struggle is real with three, have three kids anyway. I'll be here to laugh with you at the craziness of parenting three in a world built for two.